The BoRIA Post

The official newsletter of the Battle of Rhode Island Association featuring news, events and Rhode Island history. Learn more at www.battleofrhodeisland.org.

August 2025 Edition

Share this Page

Sign up for our Monthly Email Newsletter!

Battle of Rhode Island Sunset Salute at Butts Hill Fort

Just before the rainy sunset on Friday, August 29th, on the hallowed grounds of Butts Hill Fort, Portsmouth, BoRIA and the BHFRC paid tribute to all the participants of the Battle of Rhode Island which took place on August 29th, 1778. Around 75 people joined us just as the rain showers broke. In this simple and solemn ceremony, Portsmouth Town Historian Jim Garman spoke briefly followed by a laying of a wreath at the 1923 stone marker at the entrance to the fort by Jason Roomes, a 1st RI reenactor whose ancestor was in the 1st RI Regiment and Chris Chiaro representing the 54th Regiment of Foot. The 54th saw action August 29th, 1778 on the East Road (East Main Road). We’d like to thank the 1st and 2nd RI Regiments, the Rhode Island United Train of Artillery, the Kingston Reds, the Henry Knox Color Guard from the Massachusetts Sons of the American Revolution and the 13th Continental Regiment. The reenactors delivered a musket volley in honor of those who participated and those who gave their lives. We would also like to thank everyone for showing up including RI Secretary of State Gregg Amore as well as Portsmouth Town Council Vice President David Gleason.

The troops prepare for the sunset salute.
Jason Roomes on the left representing the 1st RI Regiment (Jason's ancestor Caesar Rome was in the 1st RI) and Chris Chiaro on the right representing the 54th Regiment of Foot. Together they laid the wreath honoring the participants of that day.

Our newsletter community is at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we’re asking for just a few minutes of your time to complete this short survey—your insights will help shape our future content and efforts.

Laying the wreath at Patriot's Park.
Keynote speaker Commander Keith Carter, Executive Officer of NETC Newport Naval Chaplaincy School.

More than 80 people including RI Secretary of State Gregg Amore attended the 58th annual Black Regiment Monument commemoration ceremony in Portsmouth. The site of the Battle of Rhode Island has been designated a National Historic Landmark. It has a memorial to the 1st Rhode Island Regiment and The Battle of Rhode Island, on August 29, 1778. The Bloody Run Brook is where the First Black Militia fought and the site honors the free and enslaved black and indigenous men who fought in the Battle as members of the First Rhode Island Regiment – The Black Regiment.

Gloria Schmidt

Based on A.J Ward Map of Aquidneck Island 1870. Site 1 is the original site of the Southermost School.

Southermost School, a one room schoolhouse on the grounds of the Portsmouth Historical Society, is celebrating its 300th year. It is old enough to have been standing during the Battle of Rhode Island. Would it have been located near the action of the battle? The site on the Historical Society grounds is not the original site. It has been moved three times in its lifetime, but its original spot on Union Street would have been close to the action of the skirmishing at East Main and Union and Union and Middle Road. 

If we look at the location of Southermost School would have been in 1778, it was slightly to the north of the intersection of Union Street and Middle Road.  In a field between East Main and Middle Road, Wade’s men hid behind stone walls. He ordered his men not to fire until he gave the order. They were then to reload, fire a second time, and finally retreat. This was one of the most deadly skirmishes for the British. The British 22nd continued up East Road and the 43rd Regiment marched up Middle Road.  

Southermost School has been newly restored and on September 14th from 2-4 PM there will be a celebration at the Portsmouth Historical Society.  

BoRIA Awarded State Legislative Grant for Butts Hill Fort

Craig Clark, a Founding Director of the Battle of Rhode Island Association (BoRIA), recently accepted a $2,000 RI Legislative grant. The check was presented by Representatives Teri Cortvriend (Portsmouth and Middletown) and Michelle McGaw (Portsmouth, Tiverton, and Little Compton). This funding will support the ongoing restoration efforts at Butts Hill Fort in Portsmouth.

Women in Revolutionary Rhode Island

Elizabeth Sulock, Associate Director for the John Brown House Museum at the Rhode Island Historical Society (RIHS)

At a time when women had little freedom to shape their destiny, how did they make an impact on the American Revolution?

In the 18th century, women did not have an equal voice to men but they were uniquely poised to make an impact on politics and help shape the direction of the American War for Independence. The challenges women faced, the choices they made, the costs they bore, and their contributions, whether direct or indirect, helped to shape the character of this pivotal moment in American history. From the Daughters of Liberty boycotting British goods to spinning homespun fabric, or Loyalist women standing in support of the King, Rhode Island women exercised their voices and supported their cause while maintaining the boundaries of their role in society.

The latest exhibit at the Rhode Island Historical Society’s John Brown House Museum, simply titled Women in Revolutionary Rhode Island, explores the contributions of local women in the years leading up to and during the war. Drawing from sources in the RIHS archives, the exhibit seeks to reveal a variety of women’s experiences across our state who contributed in support of or against the American Revolution. Women in the Revolutionary Rhode Island also aims to illustrate how local women could act as leaders during a difficult time.

Using houseware items from the RIHS collections, such as 18th century pewter, historic cups, a footwarmer and other serving pieces, alongside informative panels and reproduction visuals, Women in Revolutionary Rhode Island helps to shed light on the influence woman had on their world. A small hands-on corner features two reproduction garments – a child’s gown and a lady’s cap – which were entirely handsewn using historical techniques by RIHS intern Christian Wolanski.

Women in the Revolutionary Rhode Island also features a rarely exhibited portrait of Martha Washington by Rhode Island artist Jane Stuart, who made a career of copying the portraits made by her father, Gilbert Stuart. What is the connection between Mrs. Washington, who never visited Rhode Island, and one of the most prominent women from Rhode Island? Well, you’ll have to stop by the John Brown House Museum to discover the answer. The museum, which is located at 52 Power Street in Providence, is open Tuesday – Friday from 1- 4pm, and Saturdays from 10 am – 4 pm. General admission to the house costs $10 per person, but admission to this exhibit is free.

For more information on the Rhode Island Historical Society, click here.

Portsmouth’s Friends Meeting House Celebrates 325 Years of Worship

Although registered as a National Historic Landmark in 1973, a commemorative plaque was not installed until now.

More than 100 people attended the celebration on August 23 on Quaker Hill. The event included talks, dedications, and “breaking of bread”. Jim Garman, Portsmouth’s Town Historian noted that this is the oldest extant structure in Town and the Meeting House played a pivotal strategic and logistical role in the Battle of Rhode Island on August 29, 1778

It served as both a contested military objective and a symbol of the complex challenges faced by pacifist Quaker communities. Located atop the strategically important Quaker Hill at an elevation of 286 feet, the Meeting House became an unwilling participant in what would be the only major Revolutionary War battle fought on Rhode Island soil. Quaker Hill provided commanding views of the surrounding terrain and approach routes, making it essential for controlling movement across northern Aquidneck Island. The hill’s position between the East Main Road and Middle Road made it a natural defensive strongpoint.

The British forces drove out the Quakers and converted the Meeting House into a military facility, using the main worship space as barracks and the basement as an ammunition magazine. This militarization of the sacred space represented a profound violation of Quaker principles and effectively ended regular worship services at the building.

According to British Lieutenant Mackenzie’s diary, the British were particularly concerned about the Quaker population’s reaction to the Hessian troops, noting that “The inhabitants of the Island, being principally Quakers, are exceedingly alarmed at the appearance of the Hessian troops, are under great dread of them.” Despite this, when the British ordered all Portsmouth inhabitants to work on Butts Hill Fort construction beginning on September 15, 1777, only seventeen men appeared because the majority of inhabitants were Quakers who refused to assist in any war-related activities.

The Fighting at Quaker Hill

The engagement at Quaker Hill became one of the most intense phases of the battle. American forces, including Wigglesworth’s Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Brockholst Livingston’s advance guard, and Colonel Nathaniel Wade’s pickets, established defensive positions at the junction of Middle Road, East Road, and Hedley Street, directly in the vicinity of the Friends Meeting House.

Contemporary accounts describe fierce fighting lasting approximately one hour. A private from Jackson’s detachment recorded the intensity of the combat: “The action began to be warm when we were reinforced by Col. Shepard’s Regiment… The action then commenced hot. We plied them so briskly that they began to give way.” The Americans initially held their ground and even launched a counterattack, with Major Louis Tousard of Lafayette’s staff courageously charging a British artillery piece before being wounded.

Despite their initial success, the overwhelming British numbers and reinforcements forced the American withdrawal from Quaker Hill back to the main defensive line at Butts Hill. The British briefly secured Quaker Hill but were unable to advance further against the strengthened American positions

Following the Battle, the Friends Meeting House continued to serve military purposes under different occupying forces. The building was used by both British and American forces, with evidence suggesting that “victorious Americans took possession of the meetinghouse for similar purposes” after the battle. When French forces arrived in 1780 as part of the continuing alliance, they too occupied the Meeting House.

This extended military use took a significant toll on the building’s condition. The extent of damage is documented in Quaker records. Jacob Mott, who died on January 24, 1779, could not be buried in the traditional Quaker burying ground because “the Meeting house at Portsmouth and Burying Ground also… Being at that time occupied by a number of German Troops.” This record provides evidence that Hessian forces continued to occupy the Meeting House well into 1779, months after the Battle.

By 1781, the Meeting House was reported to be “in need of significant repair.” Meeting minutes from October 31, 1780, record that the Quaker congregation had to petition the French army to have their building released: “A party of the Meeting House at Newport having for some time past been occupied by the French Army we appoint James Mitchell, James Chase, Isaac Lawton and Jacob Mott to use their endeavors to have it released.”

The War devastated the Quaker community on Aquidneck Island. Many of the wealthier Quakers fled to Philadelphia and New York during the British occupation, while those who remained faced property seizure by colonial forces for refusing to take loyalty oaths or serve in the military. The traditional Quaker refusal to participate in war-related activities led to their being “distrained of their property by colonial forces” and subjected to raids by British supply parties.

The war marked a turning point in Quaker political influence in Rhode Island. Following the conflict, the Society of Friends decided that Quakers should no longer hold any public office, ending over a century of Quaker political dominance in the colony. This decision reflected both practical necessity and theological conviction, as the experience of the war had demonstrated the incompatibility between Quaker pacifist principles and the responsibilities of civil governance during wartime.

Archaeological evidence discovered during renovation work in 1955 confirmed the building’s military use during the Revolutionary War. Cannonballs were discovered in the cellar during excavation, providing proof of the building’s role as an ammunition storage facility. These cannonballs are still preserved in the building today on a fireplace mantle.

Click here for Katie Mulvaney’s article about Friends Meeting House from the Providence Journal/USA Today Network.

RI250 Commission Launches Statewide Grant Program to Support Semiquincentennial Programming

Secretary of State Gregg M. Amore and the RI250 Commission announced a new grant opportunity designed to bolster public programming related to the nation’s Semiquincentennial across Rhode Island.  

“Rhode Island is fortunate to be the home of such meaningful history – and also so many organizations, groups, and historians who continue to tell our story,” said Secretary Amore, Chair of the RI250 Commission. “As we approach the Semiquincentennial in 2026, this grant program will support those organizations and our municipalities in providing impactful public programming that highlights Rhode Island’s role in the Revolution.” 

The grant opportunity has two distinct programs: Local 250 Committee grants, which will be offered to Rhode Island cities and towns with recognized Local 250 Committees for municipal programming, and Statewide Grants, which can be applied for by nonprofits, regional and statewide organizations, cultural institutions, educational institutions, and/or coalitions of multiple partners.  

Applications for the available funding will be accepted on a rolling basis. Grant funding determinations will be made by an RI250 Grant Review Board and the RI250 Commission’s Executive Committee.  

The RI250 Commission website, rhodeisland250.org, has been revamped to include additional resources, an interactive community calendar, and more information about planned commemorations.  

Members of the public can view upcoming Semiquincentennial-related events by clicking here.

Organizations and groups hosting events can submit their events to be included in the community calendar by clicking here. 

Full details about the grant opportunity are available here.

Forgotten Founders Seminar

The Varnum House, FreshMaps, RI250 Commission, and the BoRIA are collaborating with historian Robert Geake to present a new seminar series titled “The Underwritten of the American Revolution.” This multi-year initiative aims to shed light on lesser-known stories from Rhode Island’s involvement in the Revolutionary War. The inaugural seminar is scheduled for October 4th, 2025, in East Greenwich, Rhode Island. The event promises to be a rich educational experience, featuring a panel of invited speakers who will share their expertise on overlooked aspects of Rhode Island’s Revolutionary War history. Speakers include Dr. Shirley Green, Dr. Norman Desmarais, Keith Stokes and Robert A. Geake. In addition to the presentations, attendees will have the opportunity to participate in guided tours and visit local museums, offering a comprehensive immersion into one of the state’s historical narratives.

FreshMaps' Portsmouth History Hunt Videos Part of RIDE Classroom Resource and Girl Scout Badge Project

Many thanks to Joe Studlick and Gloria Schmidt for their help in developing a new Battle of Rhode Island classroom resource, based on the FreshMaps RevRI History Hunt project in Portsmouth. This was approved by the vetting team at RIDE over the summer. We are pleased that Rhode Island students in 4th and 5th grade levels will enjoy playing the trivia game and watching short videos of various historians telling stories of the Battle of Rhode Island on Aquidneck Island in 1778.

We are also pleased to announce a collaboration with the Girl Scouts of Southern New England to share the statewide Revolutionary RI History Hunt project as part of their RI250th Anniversary celebration badge, exploring RI and MA history, politics and landscape. Michelle Girasole shared, “As a Girl Scout and long-time troop leader, I am honored that the Girl Scouts will be taking part in our RevRI History Hunt series on this special occasion. There is so much to discover here, and GSSNE has put together a great program for troops to enjoy this whole year.” More details will be announced soon.  

Michele Girasole

BoRIA Board Update

Long-time board member Jeff Weston who represented the Bristol Historical Society has resigned from the BoRIA Board of Directors. Jeff served with distinction since our founding in 2022, and his contributions have been essential to our growth and success. We extend our sincere appreciation for his dedicated service and wish him all the best.

September 7th: 244th Anniversary Commemoration of the Battle of Groton Heights, Fort Griswold, Groton, CT. For more information, click here.

September 13th: Lecture, Fred Zilian on Prescott Raid. Middletown Library, 2 PM

By Don N. Hagist

A sentry watches a soldier in work clothing carry a large kettle into an encampment, while a seated soldier is helped up by a woman, possibly his wife. Although painted in 1790, the clothing and equipment in this scene are typical of what was used by British soldiers in Rhode Island

One day in September 1778, John Hopwood was hard at work. The thirty-five-year-old native of Hutton, a village in the eastern part of Yorkshire a few miles from the coast, was a butcher, but at the age of twenty-eight had chosen a different career – he enlisted in the British army, in the 54th Regiment of Foot. Army service took him to Ireland, then to America, where by 1778 he was part of the British garrison in Rhode Island, the period name for the island in Narragansett Bay now called Aquidneck, and often referred to simply as Newport, the island’s largest town.

Read an Article and Win some Gear!

How do I enter?

You can enter our monthly raffle by reading any of our articles and filling out the form at the bottom of the article page. Entering the contest will also add you to our mailing list, which you can opt out of at anytime. Winners will be chosen at the beginning of each month and notified via the email they used to register. Limit one entry per person per month. Enter every month to increase your odds of winning!

Congratulations to our July contest winner Henry Allen from Tacoma Park, MD.

 

Henry Allen is a Marine veteran of Vietnam and was a feature writer and art critic at The Washington Post from 1970 to 2009. His books include Going Too Far Enough: American Culture at Century’s End, What It Felt Like: Living in the American Century, Fool’s Mercy, and The Museum of Light Air. He received the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism in 2000.

Did You Know?

Warren, Rhode Island

Before the war, Warren was a thriving maritime community, renowned as a whaling port and for shipbuilding. 

  • In 1778, Warren was raided by British and German troops as part of the Mount Hope Bay campaign. On May 25, about 500 British and Hessian soldiers under General Sir Robert Pigot landed near Warren and Bristol. The British divided their forces, sending one detachment into Warren and another toward the Kickemuit River.
  • Local Continental Army forces under Colonel Archibald Clary fled due to rumors that the British force was larger than actual. The British destroyed military supplies, burned the local powder magazine, which exploded and destroyed six houses and the town meeting house, and destroyed five cannons. They also burned a sloop and damaged and pillaged other properties. Local militia forces under Colonel William Barton rallied and skirmished with the withdrawing British but inflicted only minor casualties.

This raid severely damaged Warren’s maritime economy and had a profound effect on the town’s morale and infrastructure. Their vibrant Baptist congregation functioned as a community organizational center and played a key role in rebuilding after the British attack. 

Notable people from Warren associated with the War include:

  • Lieutenant Colonel William Barton: Barton, who lived in both Warren and Providence, led the daring 1777 nighttime raid that captured British Major General Richard Prescott on Aquidneck Island—one of the war’s most famous exploits. 
  • Private Bristol Luther: Enslaved in Warren by shipbuilder Martin Luther, he enlisted as a free man in May 1781 to serve in the Continental Army, representing the town’s diverse population and the significant role that Black soldiers from Rhode Island played, notably in the 1st Rhode Island Regiment (aka The Black Regiment).
  • Hampton Barton: A Warren man who served three and a half years in the war, representing the many unsung local veterans whose service records have only recently received recognition. His name was added to Warren’s Honor Roll in 2021.

Warren and nearby towns were directly affected by Patriot troop movements and served as supply and staging areas during the campaign leading to the Battle of Rhode Island in August 1778.

  • In 1790, shortly after the War, Warren’s population was recorded as 1,122. While racial demographics for Warren are limited, Rhode Island’s population at that time had approximately 64,470 free whites, 3,407 free people of color, and 948 enslaved people, with enslaved persons constituting about 1% of the state population.
  • The constant threat of raids, conscription, and requisitioning of goods for the war effort made daily life uncertain for Warren’s residents. Many families had to rebuild their homes, businesses, and churches following the devastation of the British raid.
  • After the war, Warren saw a significant revival, regaining commercial activity and returning to shipbuilding, whaling, and trade. By the 19th century, Warren was again a prominent shipbuilding town before later shifting towards textile manufacturing.

 

Joe Studlick

Follow BoRIA on Social Media

Related Posts