Share this Page
The original Conanicut Battery was probably a simple, crescent shaped earthwork to protect six to eight cannon and those that operated them. In December of 1776 the British occupied the battery and they held the position until October of 1779. The French came in July of 1780 and manned the battery until 1781. The road to the battery is located off the main road to Beavertail Light.