Butts Hill Fort

Share this Page

A stone tablet commemorating Butts Hill Fort
Stone Tablet Commemorating Butts Hill Fort

Butts Hill Fort evolved along the way. The British called this area Windmill Hill because it was a traditional site for a windmill. The Americans called this area “Butts Hill” after the John Butts family that held the land when the war began.  The outlines you see at the fort date from the improvements made by the French and Americans in 1780 to 1781. It is at this point that the fortifications at Butts Hill became Butts Hill Fort.  The Battle of Rhode Island Association is working to restore the fort.

Learn More
Position of the French Army at Butts Hill Fort, Newport, Library of Congress

Butts Hill Fort: A History

The Americans called this area “Butts Hill” after the John Butts family that held the land when the war began.

Articles
Rochambeau and the Marquis

Rochambeau’s Engineers at Butts Hill Fort July 1780 – June 1781

Butts Hill Fort was built early in the American War of Independence to protect the northern approaches to Newport, Rhode Island. Within days of his arrival in July 1780, the comte de Rochambeau sent his engineers to supervise and assist American forces in rebuilding and strengthening the fort.